Board Members please let someone know if you are not able to attend.
Treasurer Report: Invasive Species Fund $42,048 ; General Fund $67,860
PAID MEMBERSHIPS: 139
Welcome New Board Members - for three year terms Sharon Daniels and Dean Shaner.
1) Call Meeting to Order 7 PM -President Ken Klehr
2) Secretary's April Board Meeting Report - approved for publication on website.
3) Treasurer's April Financial Report - Lyle reported 3 of 4 ads for newsletter have been paid. The cost for the newsletter was $730, this included labels, folding, and mailing. Lyle presented LWIA Financial Summary for 2015-2016. He noted because our fiscal year ends April 30th the membership numbers overlap. Lyle noted major expenses for this year were purchase of the I-LIDS system, water analysis, 3 newsletters, insurance premium(which remained the same from previous year), final payment on the holding pond. LWIA showed an income of $4154 for the fiscal year. He is taking this year end information to Piehl, Beckman Accounting to file State and Federal forms. Board approved treasurers report.
4) Membership/Shoreline Committee - Shoreline Captains meeting scheduled for Sat. May 21 - 9:30-10:30 at Cathy Klehr’s house.
5) Cormorants & Pelicans Committee - A meeting is scheduled for the evening of May 17 at the DNR office in Hutchinson.
6) Website & Facebook Activity - tabled Steve G not able to attend.
7) Invasive Species Committee Update - Tim Plude is the new AIS person at the Hutchinson DNR office. A vegetation survey last week found very little vegetation anywhere on the lake. Our proposed plan for 2016 is to treat 70 acres of milfoil, per our Lake and Vegetation Plans. Dave R. reported 8/11 zebra mussel monitoring plates (constructed by Mike Wosmek) have been placed around the lake. Dave is going to the UM to get trained on identifying early stage zebra mussels. He will send out an email having people check the monitoring plates, at this time is looking at doing weekly checks.
8) Watershed Committed Report - Skip is working on a culvert on 215th St., putting a 90 degree pipe on to an existing culvert, to slow the flow of water into the lake. They will also put some rocks around the outlet of the pipe. They are also looking at a drain tile culvert near the landing that is flat and runs directly into a ditch that flows into the lake. The board approved Skip making necessary purchases to complete these projects.
9) Watercraft Inspection Committee - Dave R. scheduling the installation of the I-LIDS unit on May 11, 2016 at the Ellsworth Landing. He asked for others to help.
I-LIDS Insurance - it was determined we should insure the I-LIDS unit. Dave will get pictures and value of the unit information to Lyle Walker so he can purchase insurance
10) Communications & Public Relations
Annual Meeting Review - Mike and Sandy Wosmek did an exceptional job putting together the Annual Membership Pork Chop Dinner. A special thank you goes out to Butch at B & B Sports Hutchinson for paying for the pork chops. There were about 80 people in attendance.
11) Water Quality Testing - Committee did seechi disk readings last week and they were similar to last years reading at the same time. On Monday May 16th they will do seechi and water quality testing. Also will do more vegetation surveys. There was a discussion about our plan to do testing prior to and after we have completed water shed projects around the lake. Ken K has set up a testing procedure that will be used for comparison analysis of the water quality in areas that Skip is working on to slow the flow of runoff into the lake. Times noted for testing are: Early Spring, after a heavy rain and during normal flow times. Ken will order additional testing kits for the areas we have made changes to or are planning to work on. The testing will be on water coming out of the tiles, in the holding pond, and water coming into the lake in these areas.
12) 2016 Grant Applications - The only change to the Grant Applications previously reported is the State of Minnesota grant for chemical treatment of milfoil is not available. Ken reported there may be money in this account later in the year.
13) Financial Support Sign Dassel Rod & Gun Club - a non issue at this time.
14) Lake Management Plan - Dave R. has completed the update of the 2016 Lake Improvement Plan for Lake Washington of Meeker Co. and the Board approved publishing it on our website.
15) Jennifer Von Ohlen, Enterprise Dispatch, will attend the June 7th Board Meeting to ask questions in preparation of an article she will be writing for the newspaper.
16) Open Discussion: Steve U will contact Steve G about updating website date for Pot Luck Dinner to Friday August 12.
Summary of Lake Washington Improvement Association of Meeker Co. annual membership meeting on May 7, 2016 at the Dassel Rod & Gun Club. Scott Mackenthun of the DNR fisheries spoke. Thank you to Sandy and Mike Wosmek for setting up the pork chop meal and to B&B Sports for providing the pork chops.
Rick Fernstrom, Rick Johnson and Ken Klehr are retiring from the board: Thank you Ken, Rick & Rick for your leadership and service to LWIA.
Committee reports can be found in the Board minutes.
Scott Mackenthun, with the Hutchinson DNR Fisheries presented a slide show talking about Aquatic Invasive Species and Bird Conflicts. A Zebra Mussel was found in Lake Stella on July 6, 2015 and then three more found in mid-September. The DNR will continue monitoring. Mackenthun said the native plants on the lake look good. As far as reducing the population of the double crested cormorants it is required to have a Private Depredation Order and show a need and adverse impacts the birds demonstrate. We need legal/scientific proof of adverse impact. Mackenthun said they will look into this further.
Election of board members: Tom Hauer, Ron Bubany, Sharon Daniels, Dean Shaner were elected. There is still an opening to finish out 1 year of a term.
The next Board meeting is scheduled for Tuesday June 7th 7PM Dassel Rod & Gun Club