Lantern
 
   
Board Meeting Minutes Archived Minutes
Lake Washington Association Board Meeting August 12, 2014
Board Members Present:
Ken Klehr
Lyle Walker
Cathy Klehr

Visitors (Lake Jennie):
Tom Hauer
Ron Bubany
Skip Sustacek

Mark Theis
Steve Grotbo
Steve Ullom
Mary Braaten

Laura Baumberger

Board Members please let someone know if you are not able to attend.

Treasurer Report: Invasive Species Fund  $36,909;  General Fund $73,173

PAID MEMBERSHIPS: 213

1) Call Meeting to order by President Ken Klehr at 7 PM.

2) Secretary’s July Board Meeting Report - approved for publication

3) Treasurer's July Financial Report - We paid $830 for printing and mailing summer newsletter.

4) Open President Position - Ken is asking someone to take over the President position in October.

5) Shoreline Captains/Membership Committee Update - Shoreline Captains are continuing to pass out brochures and look for new members.  More people are contacting Cathy K via email using lake membership link.

6) Cormorants & Pelicans Committee Status - Rick F. not at the meeting. Do know we will be doing water quality testing at three sites around Pigeon Lake, that Ken K. and Ron B will do plotting of test sites.

Lee Sundmark Presenter Potluck (Aug 2nd) - Board talked about the halo lakes around Pigeon and that cormorants are being reported outside these lakes.  Lee suggested that Lake Washington maybe more of a sunfish than walleye lake. Most fish were within the 25th quartile when compared to comparable lakes around Minnesota and therefore considered fish populations although different over the past surveys to be within the normal range.

7) Membership Survey Committee Report - Steve U sent all board members the latest survey with comments he has received so far.  We have added Action Plans for many of the survey questions.  Information learned, Action Plans specific to survey responses and insight will be published in our newsletters starting with Fall 2014.  Our goal is to summarize the survey, provide examples of how we are or can address the action plans we have developed so far. This will be reported in the next four newsletters.

8) Website & Facebook Activity - Steve G. put together a graph showing website use over time. Steve G. would like people to send him pictures from the lake that he could put on our website. Ron B. sent updated membership list to Steve G for publication on our website (Steve will update this monthly). Steve G. noted that we only have the most current newsletter published on the website and he would like to create a link to all the Newsletters we have.  He will check with Rick F. regarding electronic copies.

9) Invasive Species Committee Update - There will be no milfoil treatments this year.  The committee will do at least one more vegetation survey this year.

10) Watershed Committee Report - The project is set to begin the first part of September

11) Watercraft Inspection Committee - State is sending $332,000 to Meeker Co. that is good through 2016 for AIS prevention.  Tom H. and Skip S. are "certified inspectors" and have observed the DNR doing inspections and has a copy of the checklist used.

12) Communications & Public Relations - We need to look at the newsletter and how we format, print, and postage costs.  Mark Theis from Crow River Printing shared some ideas about how we could reduce costs.

13) Summer Newsletter Great !!! - Congrats to Ron B for setting up and formatting the newsletter, many comments on how good it looked.

14) Review Potluck Aug 2nd - Sandy W not at meeting, tabled until next month.
   Attendance - about 52 people
   Feedback
   Good/Change   Improve

15) Overhead Projector Dassel Rod & Gun Club - Board approved Ken K. spending up to $300 to purchase a screen.  Board directed Ken K. to talk with Chris Hanson about the Rod 'n Gun Club helping with placement and the installation.

16) MCAL Report July 17th Meeting - Meeker County Commissioners want a committee of 5 people, with one from each district to look at developing a plan for spending the AIS monies they received this year and must spend by the end of 2016.  Ken K. is one of 5 nominated for the committee.

17) Open Discussion - MCAL ok’d transferring grant money for 2014 milfoil treatments to our watershed project.

 

Next Board Meeting Tuesday, September 2, 2014 @ 7 PM Dassel Rod & Gun Club.

 
 

Copyright © 2007-2014 - Lake Washington Improvement Assn. - All Rights Reserved