Lantern
 
   
Board Meeting Minutes Archived Minutes
Lake Washington Association Board Meeting July 6, 2013
Board Members Present:
John Fink
Ken Klehr
Mike Wosmek
Sandy Wosmek
Rick Fernstrom
Lyle Walker
Cathy Klehr
Pat Hanson
Tom Hauer
Ron Bubany
Skip Sustacek
Steve Grotbo
Steve Ullom

Board Members please let someone know if you are not able to attend.

Treasurer Report: Invasive Species Fund 46,752; General Fund   66,542

PAID MEMBERSHIPS: 205

1) Called Meeting to order - at 10 AM Saturday, July 6th by Ken Klehr

2) Secretary's June Board Meeting Report - approved by the Board for publication on the website

3) Treasurer's July Report - Total funds are $113,295 at this time, with $1,602 for the Dassel Fire Dept.  The bill for filing state and federal tax information by Piehl, Beckman, Hanson was $455.

4) Committee Assignments - updated this information and published it on the website.

   Invasive Species - Ken Klehr, Ron Bubany, Tom Hauer, Milt L., Bill O., Pat Hanson

   Shoreline Captains - Cathy Klehr, Mike and Sandy Wosmek, Rick Johnson

   Social- John Fink, Mike and Sandy Wosmek, Skip Sustacek

   Finance - Lyle Walker

   Cormorants - Rick Fernstrom, Ken Klehr, Ron Bubany, Milt L., George, Arlan L., Dean Shaner

   Watershed - Ken Klehr, Skip Sustacek

   Survey - Steve Ullom, Pat Hansen, Skip Sustacek, Steve Grotbo, Sandy Wosmek, Kim Winter

5) Shoreline Captains Committee Update - A total of 186 surveys have been turned in at this time.  Cathy noted there were 85 separate donations to the milfoil/invasive species fund.  Cathy is doing the surveys on 215th and 218th Street and may need some help doing follow up.

6) Cormorants & Pelicans Committee Status - There was a meeting of 18 people at DNR offices in Hutchinson on July 2 from 6 to 10 pm.  Four were DNR reps. from Hutchinson (2), Willmar area (1), and Lake Vermillion area (1).  The Lake Vermillion representative shared information about the data they collected that went in to making the decision to oil the eggs this spring.  Lee Sundmark stated "I don’t think there is a problem".  Those present pressed the DNR to look more closely at the information collected in the past 5-10 years and see how the fish populations have changed.   The Hutchinson DNR  representatives  agreed to come back with a plan in the near future.  A survey of cormorants at Pigeon Lake was completed this spring by the University of Minnesota and they reported 2325 nesting pairs were present.  Rick has a detailed description of this meeting in the July Newsletter.

7) Membership Survey Committee Report - We have a total of 186 surveys turned in so far.  A quick review of the first 68 surveys showed 38 people marked fewer fish, and cormorants as a problem was written on 32 surveys.  Have sent the survey off and someone is putting together an Excel spreadsheet, that we will use to analyze and graph responses.

8) Website & Face book Activity - Steve G. has updated the board information on the website.  The website was down for about 7 days, before we realized we needed to pay $224 for 4 year cost of a hosting domain.  We are averaging about 5 hits per day during the summer months, which is quite a few people looking at our website.

9) Invasive Species Committee Update - Ron wrote an article for the newsletter detailing the committee’s survey activities over the past month.  They are monitoring areas proposed for treatments in 2013, but are not seeing the Milfoil density that would warrant treatment at this time.  The committee will be doing another survey next week.  The DNR did a EWM survey a few weeks ago of the areas we proposed for treatments.  They are suggesting maybe treating about 135 acres this year.  There will be a final decision on treatments in the next few weeks.  Note: Both treatment companies were present during the last survey by the committee.

10) Holding Settling Pond - The wet weather has slowed things down, Meeker Co. is looking to have the survey done by mid June, with a plan by mid July.

11) Summer Newsletter - Every one encouraged to get their parts in, Rick is sending it to the printer on July 8th.  This newsletter will include the names of paid members.  Rick will also cc. Kim Winter, so she can get the newsletters for stuffing.

12)Pot Luck Sat Aug 3rd

   Set-up Schedule - come at 4:30 as there isn’t much to set up.

   Door Prizes - Steve U. sent around the list of contributors from last year and let board members sign up to gather prizes.  Please be sure to get the name and addresses so we can send thank you notes to contributors.   He will update the list and send it back out.  We may have an auction if there is a larger item.

   Raffle - have done this traditionally in the spring.

13) Membership To Conservation Minnesota - Board approved spending $150 to join this organization.

14) Open Discussion

Next Board Meeting Tuesday, August 5th @ 7 PM Dassel Rod & Gun Club (Maybe a conflict with Block Party)

 
 

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Lake Washington Improvement Assn. - All Rights Reserved