Board Meeting Minutes Archived Minutes
Lake Washington Association Board Meeting June 3, 2014
Board Members Present:
Ken Klehr
Mike Wosmek
Sandy Wosmek
Lyle Walker
Cathy Klehr
Pat Hanson
Tom Hauer
Ron Bubany
Skip Sustacek
Rick Fernstrom
Mary Braaten
Steve Ullom

Board Members please let someone know if you are not able to attend.

Treasurer Report: Invasive Species Fund  36,054; General Fund 72,047


1) Call Meeting to order 7 PM - Ken Klehr

2) Secretary’s May Board Meeting Report - approved for publication

3) Treasurer's May Financial Report - 65 people have contributed to the Dassel Fire Dept. A resolution was passed by the board approving the contents of the financial report prepared by Piehl, Hanson, Beckman.  They filed State and Federal paperwork required for annual reporting requirements.

4) Election of Officers - President - Ken Klehr - willing to continue for now Board will look at other options.  VPresident - Rick Fernstrom, Treasurer- Lyle Walker, Secretary- Steve Ullom,

5) Committee Assignments-

Invasive Species: Pat Hanson, Ron Bubany, Ken Klehr, Tom Hauer, Bill Ooley, Milt Luenenberg, Mary Braaten

Cormorant: Rick Fernstrom, Ron Bubany, Ken Klehr, Rick Johnson, Ray Haugland, Milt Luenenberg, Arlan Loval, Dean Shaner, George Cramer

WaterShed: Skip Sustacek, Ken Klehr, Rick Fernstrom

Finance: Lyle Walker

Social: Mike & Sandy Wosmek, Mary Braaten, Skip Sustacek

Membership/Shoreline Captains: Cathy Klehr-Membership Chair, Mike & Sandy Wosmek, Rick Johnson

Communications & Public Relations : Rick Fernstrom, Steve Ullom, Tom Hauer, Steve Grotbo

Survey -  Steve Ullom, Pat Hanson, Mike & Sandy Wosmek, Skip Sustacek, Cathy Klehr, Steve Grotbo


AIS funding from State of MN to local gov. - Updated the legislature awarded additional AIS money to Meeker Co. for about $240,000 over two years. No one is sure how or exactly what the money will be used for.  We believe the MCAL will have a significant part in what to do with these funds.

6) Shoreline Captains/Membership Committee Update- Met on May 17 at Dassel Rod ‘n Gun Club. 9 area Captains attended. Still need Captains on 218th , 219th, and 215th Streets. Cathy reported 75 people have donated $50 or more to AIS Fund. Ron B has updated the information on the address format and created a new link making it easier to update information changes.

7) Cormorants & Pelicans Committee Status - Rick F. has three times requested for information from The DNR Bird Populations group, but they have not responded. He will be sending a request to the supervisor for this group to hopefully get some feedback.

Lee Sundmark Presenter Potluck (Aug 2nd)- Lee has agreed to answer questions at the Potluck Dinner to discuss with the membership the DNR’s position on cormorants. Information from the surveys and comments from the lake community have shown continued concerns about the cormorant populations.  We do know the DNR Fisheries are the only group that has the authority to ask for Federal help to control cormorants.  Hopefully he will have some preliminary information on the fish surveys from this summer.

8) Membership Survey Committee Report - Steve has written an introduction to the survey for the board to preview.  The questions are being formatted so all board members can add or edit information in the report. We are looking for the summary to lead to what we need to do or develop a goal for the Board that will meet identified needs from each question.  The outcome should be an action plan the board can present to the membership and use as a guide for future action.  The board approved putting the full survey data on our website.

9) Website & Facebook Activity- Steve G  not at the meeting.

Add new email addresses to website ( - Ron Bubany has set up this link and will contact Steve G. about getting this up on our website. Talked about making links on the website easier to work with.

10) Invasive Species Committee Update - Committee did a vegetation survey and found very little milfoil on the lake at this time. Another survey will occur in the next 1-2 weeks.

11) Watershed Committee Report- Skip reported Meeker Co. has agreed to pay $8000, not $10,000 they thought would be available at the beginning of this project, toward the holding pond on SW corner of the lake. The cost of $13,335 has been the final price from the contractor, some of this is due to changes and additional costs for seed to plant on the banks. Initially the Board committed $2500 toward this project, with the reduction from the county and increase in the cost, the Board stepped up and  approved paying up to $5500 toward the timely and professional completion of this project.

12) Watercraft Inspection Committee -Tom H. reported, Kevin Compton from Lake Stella will be doing a Boat Inspection Training session at Darwin Rod ‘n Gun Club on Tuesday June 10th.  Six LWIA people have signed up to attend this training.

13) Communications & Public Relations

Summer Newsletter- All committee articles need to be completed and to Rick by July 8th, based on the Pot Luck Dinner being Aug. 2. We will email about 70 copies based on membership choices.  This will be a cost savings for mailing. This newsletter will include a list of paid memberships.

Brainstorm new formats: Discussion about the format we have been using and talked about ideas presented by various board members.  Ron B. will look at making the headings more dramatic or eye catching and present by the July meeting.

14) Membership Conservation Minnesota - Board approved supporting this state organization by becoming members.  Based on our association membership numbers our cost will be $200.

15) Open Discussion -Rick F. has volunteered to ride along while the DNR Fisheries does the electric shocking for their fish survey this year.

Next Board Meeting Tuesday, July 1, 2014 @ 7 PM Dassel Rod & Gun Club.


Copyright © 2007-2019 - Lake Washington Improvement Assn. - All Rights Reserved