Board Meeting Minutes Archived Minutes
Lake Washington Association Board Meeting July 1, 2014
Board Members Present:
Ken Klehr
Mike Wosmek
Sandy Wosmek
Lyle Walker
Steve Grotbo
Cathy Klehr
Pat Hanson
Tom Hauer
Ron Bubany
Skip Sustacek
Rick Fernstrom
Mary Braaten
Steve Ullom

Board Members please let someone know if you are not able to attend.

Treasurer Report: Invasive Species Fund $36,809 ; General Fund   $72,518


1) Call Meeting to order 7 PM - President Ken Klehr

2) Secretary’s June Board Meeting Report - approved to publish on the website.

3) Treasurer's June Financial Report - Lyle reported Piehl, Hanson, Beckman have filed state and federal tax reports.

4) Open President's Position- Ken is willing to continue in this position until October and is asking someone to volunteer to take the position.

5) Shoreline Captains/Membership Committee Update - Cathy K. has talked to many of the Shoreline Captains about passing out the various fliers.  Some have been putting them in a plastic zip lock bag to leave at houses of people that have been hard to locate.

6) Cormorants & Pelicans Committee Status Lee Sundmark Presenter at Potluck Dinner (Aug 2nd)

Rick F. went with DNR one evening when they were doing elctro-shock survey in late June.  They were primarily looking for bass, but Rick was surprised at how few fish there were during this survey.  The DNR went out later in June to do a electro shock survey of bait fish near the shoreline.

7) Membership Survey Committee Report - A comment sheet has been sent out to all board members, giving them a chance to comment on any of the survey questions.  Steve is aiming to have the survey analysis completed by the Pot Luck Dinner.  Steve G. will summarize the survey news update for the newsletter.

8) Website & Facebook Activity - There have been a total of 59 Face Book likes.  Website visits have been averaging about 4 per day. In the past month there were 92 unique visitors.

There was some confusion about the "slow wake warning" put in effect by Meeker County for Lake Washington.  There was a county wide 'slow/no wake warning' for all the lakes in Meeker County because of high water in some lakes.  For Lake Washington it meant very little because our water levels remain very stable during the year.  A discussion about mass emails being sent out, led to the board determining Ron B. will be the one sending out mass emails and he will limit them to no more than one per week, unless he determines more are necessary for safety or information is deemed necessary to be sent out immediately.

9) Invasive Species Committee Update - The Committee has been out several times this year and has found NO milfoil at any of the survey points on the lake.  Nick Brown, Hutchinson DNR  AIS supervisor, also did a survey of Lake Washington and was unable to find any milfoil at this time.  The present plan is to continue monitoring the vegetation about every two weeks, but it does not look like we will be doing any milfoil treatments this year.

10) Watershed Committee Report - Skip S. met with Ellsworth Township Board to inform them of the holding pond project on the southwest corner of Lake Washington.  The ground is very wet and will need time to for it to dry out before they can start the pond project.  The are looking at possibly starting in late August.

11) Watercraft Inspection Committee - On June 10th several Board members went to the DNR certification for watercraft inspections.  Tom H. and Skip S. are waiting to hear if they have been selected, by the DNR, to be volunteer watercraft inspectors. Once approved, they will apply to the DNR about setting up an inspection date, which will be primarily informational.

12) Communications & Public Relations - Involved a discussion about the Summer Newsletter.  Ron B. has proposed a new format that looks more like a magazine that the Board approved to try with this newsletter.  He will coordinate with Rick F. when it comes time to format the newsletter.

13) Summer Newsletter Articles Complete By July 8th - We will be sending out the newsletter electronically to people on our email list. Ron B. will send out a link that Steve G. will post on our website.  Ron B. will review our mailing list to determine the actual number of hard copies needed to be sent out.  Goal is to send electronic copy out around July 15 and mailing the hard copies by July 22.

14) Potluck Aug 2nd Agenda: Set Up at 4 pm - Social Hour at 5 pm - Dinner at 6 - 6:30 Committee Reports, Lee Sundmark comments and questions, Open Discussion Items, Door Prizes.

The Social Committee has decided to cook up sloppy jo’s to go along with the dinner.

15) Overhead Projector Dassel Rod & Gun Club - Ken K. has talked with Chris Hanson from the Rod ‘n Gun Club about getting a pull down screen at the club to be used for meetings.  They are interested in sharing the cost. We are not real sure where to hang the screen but will explore that option once we have a screen.

16) Open Discussion - Meeker Co. is getting approximately $250,000 state dollars over a 2 year period to help address AIS issues on the county lakes. There has been no announcement about how this money is going to uses. We are assuming MCLA will be very instrumental in where the monies go.

Ken K. was going to check with MCLA about the grant money we were requesting for 2014 treatment of milfoil. Because we will not be treating any milfoil this year, we would like to know if that money could be used for the holding pond project.


Next Board Meeting Tuesday, August 12th, 2014 @ 7 PM Dassel Rod & Gun Club.


Copyright © 2007-2020 - Lake Washington Improvement Assn. - All Rights Reserved