Board Meeting Minutes Archived Minutes
Lake Washington Association Board Meeting July 7, 2015
Board Members Present:
Ken Klehr
Mike Wosmek
Lyle Walker
Ron Bubany
Skip Sustacek
Steve Grotbo
Steve Ullom
David Rathe
Cathy Klehr

Board Members please let someone know if you are not able to attend.

Treasurer Report: Invasive Species Fund  39,590.00; General Fund     74,931.00


1) Call Meeting to order 7 PM - President Ken Klehr

2) Secretary's June Board Meeting Report - approved for publication on website.

3) Treasurer's June Financial Report - Paid dues for MCAL and Conservation Minnesota. Bill for Peihl, Beckman, Hanson to prepare year end reports and file returns was $374.00

4) Membership/Shoreline Captains Committee Update - With 185 members we are down from the same time in  2014.  Cathy will get a list to each Shoreline Captain of the people that paid 2014 dues but have not so far this year.

5) Cormorants & Pelicans Committee Status - Rick F. not at the meeting, but where we are at has been summarized very nicely in the newsletter.

6) Website & Facebook Activity - Website averaged 6 hits per day for last month. Of these hits 4 per day are unique visitors.  This is double the hits we had last year.

7) Invasive Species Committee Update - There have been four vegetation surveys completed this year resulting in no milfoil being found.  The DNR did a spot check and found no milfoil.  They are scheduling a whole lake vegetation survey in July 2015 to help better understand the vegetation patterns of Lake Washington.

8) Watershed Committee Report - There is curly leaf pond weed growing in the holding pond. The water in the pond is clear as is the water flowing into the lake. The board approved paying for 50% of the cost installing the drain tile inlets to make them more effective. The Dave Ahlgren farm will pay 50% of the cost.  They gave the go ahead to have the work done as soon as possible, because they will have little effect on the crops growing there now.  Joe Norman, Meeker County Water and Soil Supervisor is looking at nine different possible sites that are draining into the lake.

9) Watercraft Inspection Committee - Lee Sundmark responded to an email Dave Rathe sent to him about fishing tournaments and invasive species spread.  If there are over 25 participants the tournament needs a permit.  There are very few events this large on our lake. Some do include language about the spread of invasive species in there registration materials. We know there are many smaller groups that regularly fish competitively on Lake Washington. Dave R. did literature review of research and noted the Barriers to invasives being introduced are:  distance, climate, trade routes, and lake access ease.  The Risks for spreading invasive species are watercraft, trailers, baits, and animals.  Lee recommended training ambassadors to do volunteer education/inspections at the boat landing.  There was some discussion about having a message board set up that is triggered by a boat being pulled in or out of the lake.  The message would  remind operators to do an inspection and pull the plug before leaving the landing.  Ken K was going to talk with Tom H about this idea. Lee also noted fishing groups are inappropriately scrutinized when it comes to the spread of invasives.

10) Communications & Public Relations
   Summer Newsletter Articles Complete 6/29 - The newsletters get better and better, they are scheduled to be mailed out before July 17.  The email version has already been sent out.

11) Water Quality Testing Procedure - Ken Klehr reported the data collected is very similar to previous data collected at this time of year. Ken and Dean Gainer have collected water samples in May and June.  They overnight them to RVB Laboratories for testing.  The secchi disk reading results are sent to the MPCA at the end of the season. Ken will send Board members the information so they can log into RVB site and look at the results.

12) Committee Assignments Organizational Review - Ken Klehr has a master list of committees and the members that he updated at the meeting and will send out to all board members.  Dave R. looked at organizing the committees using the general format of the Lake Management Plan, he will share these ideas. Dave R. volunteered to work on updating the Lake Management Plan from 2012.  Steve U. will send a Word Doc copy to Dave.

13) Potluck/Door Prizes Saturday, Aug 1st
   4 PM         Set up
   5 pm          Social
   6 PM          Potluck - Sandy has the food taken care of
   6:30PM       Program
   8 PM          Clean up

   Reviewed the Door Prize list, those present confirmed the places they will visit.  Steve U. will be sending out the list so others can consider visiting some of the businesses that do not have a name by them.

14 Open Discussion - The board talked about a 501 C (3) nonprofit is able to purchase gift cards as a means/way of thanking individuals for their extra help with projects for the Lake Association.

Next Board meeting Tuesday, Aug 11th 7th @ 7 PM. Dassel Rod & Gun Club


Copyright © 2007-2019 - Lake Washington Improvement Assn. - All Rights Reserved