Board Meeting Minutes Archived Minutes
Lake Washington Association Board Meeting June 7, 2016
Board Members Present:
Mike Wosmek
Sandy Wosmek
Lyle Walker
Cathy Klehr
Pat Hanson
Tom Hauer
Ron Bubany
Skip Sustacek
Steve Grotbo
Steve Ullom
Jenny Von-Ohlen(Enterprise Dispatch)

Board Members please let someone know if you are not able to attend.

Treasurer Report: Invasive Species Fund $44, 554; General Fund $71,204.00


1) Call Meeting to Order 7 PM - meeting called to order by members present.

2) Secretary's May Board Meeting Report - approved for publication on the Website.

3) Treasurer's May Financial Report - Lyle updated board on Financial Report ending May 31.  We had income of $10,088 and expenses of $4239.80 for the month. Board approved sending in dues of $200 to continue our membership in Conservation Minnesota, this amount is based on our size.  Piehl, Beckman and Hason completed financial analysis for the year ending April 30, 2016.  The Board approved filing necessary paper work to the Federal and State governments.  There is a $25 fee when filing with MN Attorney General’s Office and the form needs Treasurer and President’s signatures.

4) Election of Officers -  President: Steve Grotbo - the board agreed meeting dates can have some flex to better meet Steve G’s availability   Vice President: Mike Wosmek       Treasurer: Lyle Walker    Secretary: Steve Ullom

5) Committee Reports:

 Aquatic Invasive Species:

Water Quality Testing/Vegetation Survey - Ken K sent out a recent report detailing seechi disc numbers and took the first water samples for testing.

I-LIDS/Watercraft Inspection - Tom H reported the I-LIDS system was installed before fishing opener.  Tom H and Dave R recently cleaned the lens and turned up the volume. They made other adjustments to improve sight lines for both lanes of the launch areas.  Dave R. has access to the video, if interested please contact him.  There is limited access to the video for confidentiality reasons and is therefore password protected.  They are sending a sun-visor for the unit to cut down on glare during certain times of the day.  Lyle W. reported we do have insurance on the unit.

Cormorants & Pelicans - People are reporting seeing many cormorants and pelicans in all areas of the lake.  There is an increased presence on Lake Washington of both birds in the past weeks.  Met with Scott Mackenthun (Fisheries) at DNR in Hutchinson on May 17. This consisted of reviewing data and information that has been collected thus far in this process. Scott was interested in looking at any new information we may have.

Zebra Mussels - Mike W. and Dave R. have placed 11 zebra mussel monitoring plates (that Mike W. built for this purpose) around the lake.  Volunteers will inspect monitoring plates every week and report to Dave if they see zebra mussels.  Dave will take training on how to recognize immature zebra mussels from UM and Minnehaha Creek Watershed District AIS manager.  If at any time there is concern, Dave will take the sample to MN DNR. On Labor Day all monitoring plates will be pulled from the lake and checked out by Dave and Mike.

Watershed - Skip S. reported on the 90 degree tube/extension on a culvert on the south side of the Lake.  He did get a call from a property owner about stagnant water collecting in a ditch near the landing.  Skip noted the water was quite naturally occurring and not a problem.  Skip and Joe Norman (Meeker Soil & Water) are looking at areas near the campground, east of the landing, & a rather large culvert near Cathy and Ken’s.

 Membership/Shoreline Captains - Cathy C. reported many Captains were at the May 22 meeting at her house. She has found some new Shoreline Captains and reduced the number of some captains with over 30 people on their roster.  She is still looking for more Captains to make the numbers closer to 15-20 homes on a roster.

 Education / Public Relations / Communications:

Summer Newsletter Articles to Ron B. by Friday July 1, so he can get to the printer on July 5th, having them mailed out by July 18.  Board members are checking with advertisers to see if they want to place and ad.

Website & Facebook Activity - Steve G. reports we are getting on average 4 visits to our website each day.  We have 98 Likes on our Facebook page.  Administrators for the Facebook page will be Steve G. and Ron B.

 Social Committee - Pot-Luck dinner will be Aug.12, with Sandy making Sloppy Jo’s.  Steve U will send out a Door Prize List before the next meeting.

6) Committee & Project Groups for 2016-17 - Steve U. will update the list and send it out so new board members can get a feel for committees they may want to be on.

7) Board member for one-year term - Cathy K is trying to contact someone the expressed a desire to be on the LWIA Board.

8) Meeker County Associations of Lakes(MCAL) -  Pat Hanson is a representative, but we do need another person to serve with her.  The next meeting is October 2016

9) Open Discussion -  Skip reported, he and Ken K tested the water in the new holding pond and the berm and where it comes into the lake to look at any variations in the water quality.  This has become "standard operating procedure" to do water quality testing at any areas around the lake that we are working on the improve the quality of water flowing into the lake.

Lyle Walker does the scheduling of meeting dates at Dassel Rod & Gun Club, once Steve G gets a schedule out Lyle will work to book those Thursdays.

Next Board Meeting Scheduled for 7 PM July 5th at Dassel Rod & Gun Club


Copyright © 2007-2019 - Lake Washington Improvement Assn. - All Rights Reserved