Board Meeting Minutes Archived Minutes
Lake Washington Association Board Meeting July 5, 2016
Board Members Present:
Mike Wosmek
Sandy Wosmek
Lyle Walker
Cathy Klehr
Tom Hauer
Ron Bubany
Skip Sustacek
Sharon Daniels
Steve Grotbo
Steve Ullom
Mark Johnson
David Rathe

Board Members please let someone know if you are not able to attend.

Treasurer Report: Invasive Species Fund $44,813.30 ; General Fund $71442.16


1) Call Meeting to Order 7 PM -  by President Steve Grotbo

2) Secretary's June Board Meeting Report  - minutes approved to be published on the website.

3) Treasurer's June Financial Report - Lyle Walker reported 2016 Federal and State required reporting forms have been filed.  63 people have contributed $1765 to the Dassel Fire Dept. and 92 people donated money to the Invasive Species Fund. I-LIDS insurance premium paid for the remainder of this insurance year is $57.00. The annual premium for the I-LIDS coverage is $150.00.   The report was approved by the Board.

4) Committee Assignments & Project Groups 2016-17- The Board determined the Watercraft Inspection and I-LIDS subcommittees will be combined because they have the same goal. Previous vegetation surveys have shown very little to no milfoil has been found in any of the survey points for 2 years, the Vegetation Survey subcommittee will begin doing vegetation surveys 3 times a year(Spring, midsummer, Fall).

Assignments for 2016:
Aquatic Invasive Species Committee/Project Groups
I-LIDS/Watercraft Inspection: Dave Rathe., Tom Hauser
Water Quality Testing: Dave Rathe, Mark Johnson
Vegetation Survey: Ron Bubany, Dean Shaner, Mark Johnson - Cathy will get Ken’s reporting forms to Ron B.
Watershed: Skip Sustacek, assisted by Joe Norman (Meeker Soil and Water)
Cormorant: Steve Grotbo, Dean Shaner, George Cramer - Collinwood, Rick Fernstrom?
Zebra Mussels: Dave Rathe, Mike Wosmek

Education/Communication/Public Relations Committee/Project Groups
Newsletter - Ron Bubany  / Website - Steve Grotbo     Tom Hauer, Steve Ullom

Finance Committee
Budget/Treasurer - Lyle Walker
Grants - Sharon Daniels

Membership/Shoreline Captains Committee 
Cathy Klehr, Ron Bubany, Sandy & Mike Wosmek, Sharon Daniels

Social Committee 
Sandy & Mike Wosmek, Skip Sustacek

MCAL Representatives: Pat Hanson, Dave Rathe

5) August Potluck - Scheduled for Friday August 12th. Sandy is making bar-b-q and notice is in the Summer Newsletter about date change and Pot Luck nature of this social event.  Steve Ullom will update the Door Prize list and get it to Board members to collect prizes.

6) Committee Reports:

Aquatic Invasive Species:
    Water Quality Testing/Vegetation Survey- Dave R. completed water testing completed in mid June, samples sent for testing, Secchi readings were in the 4 - 4.5 feet range. Steve G reported there was a question about the most recent water quality report (2012) on the website.  Steve will work on getting a link to the testing site we use on the website.
    I-LIDS/Watercraft Inspection - Dave R. reported they are making adjustments to the tripping points, have put a hood on the camera to cut down sun glare, and he is meeting with I-LIDS people to make adjustments.
    Cormorants & Pelicans - No new meetings have been scheduled.  Sharon D. reported getting feedback from area poultry businesses, as they detailed concerns about how illnesses in the cormorant population could have devastating consequences for these businesses.  This work group has shared this information with the DNR, but the Board believes these businesses should make contact with the DNR and elected officials about their concerns.
    Zebra Mussels - Dave R. reported there have been no sighting on any of the 11 inspection plates. Dave attended Lake Minnetonka Watershed training to become proficient in identifying zebra mussel larvae.  Dr. McCartney (UM) went with Dave to this training.  Professor McCartney expressed some interest in possibly doing some treatments on Stella.  The way zebra mussels reproduce it could be years before they are at the point of being a problem.

Watershed - Skip S. reported the project on 215th Street has been completed (there are pictures in the newsletter). They installed the 90 degree pipe and a smaller by pass pipe.  The next project is a culvert on the Southeast corner of the lake. Skip noted they are testing the water quality before and after the completion of all projects.

Membership / Shoreline Captains -
    Membership / Shoreline Captains - Cathy K. reported we have 190 members and she is still working on getting more Shoreline Captains. The membership list is updated monthly on the website and a list of present members is included in the Summer Newsletter.

Education & Public Relations:
    Summer Newsletter - Ron B. has sent copies to board members for preview and he will be sending it to Crow River Printers so it can be sent out by July 15. Cathy K. reported we had six advertisers for this addition.
    Website, Facebook, and Email Activity - Steve G. reported we are getting on average 5 hits per day on our Website.  We have 105 likes on our Facebook page. Steve reported someone was concerned about our using email to advertise things.  They felt this was more appropriate for social media.  The Board determined our social media accounts has some limitations and we will continue to be selective of what we send out on our email accounts. People requesting the board to email social events, they should email directly to our president Steve G. Our website provider requires a credit card account for automatic renewal, Rick F. helped with this in the past. Steve G. will contact them and update the information using his account information.

Social Committee - Final information will be shared at the Aug. 9th Board meeting.

Financial Committee -
    Grants - Sharon Daniels has met with Ken. K. regarding grants, due dates, application that need to be filled out and collecting monies.  For grant money from MCAL Sharon needs the paid billings for $9000, this has to include the $1500 operating statements for this year so LWIA can get paid the $4500 dollars in grant money.  Skip S. will get his in-kind total hours for watershed projects, to Sharon D. so she can submit this to get our watershed grant money from MCAL.

MCAL - Representatives/meeting dates  Pat Hanson & Dave Rathe, next meeting in Oct.

7) Open Discussion

Next Board Meeting Scheduled for 7 PM August 9th at Dassel Rod & Gun Club


Copyright © 2007-2019 - Lake Washington Improvement Assn. - All Rights Reserved