Lantern
 
   
Board Meeting Minutes Archived Minutes
Lake Washington Association Board Meeting March 7, 2017
Board Members Present:
Lyle Walker
Cathy Klehr
Pat Hanson
Tom Hauer
Ron Bubany
Steve Grotbo
Skip Sustacek
Steve Ullom
David Rathe
Dean Shaner
Mark Johnson

Board Members please let someone know if you are not able to attend.

Treasurer Report: Invasive Species Fund  General Fund

PAID MEMBERSHIPS:

1) Call Meeting to Order 7 PM - by President Steve Grotbo

2) Secretary's February Board Meeting Report - approved to be published on the website

3) Treasurer's February Financial Reports - Financial activity in February was the issuance of check #2223 for $70 to the U.S. Post Office for renewal of the P.O. Box, and Cap One interest of $34.15 recorded on February 28.
   Funds available February 28 - Cap One investment account - $111,526.87, and checking account - $4,673.33.
   Total - $116,200.20. Board approved Piehl, Beckman, Hanson to do year-end financial review and file required State and Federal Forms.

4) January DNR Roundtable - Dean Shaner attended this meeting and has for many years.  The DNR is looking at shortfalls and is proposing to increasing fees.  They would like to get more younger people attending their meetings, supporting, and working for them.  Dean believes the DNR is using too much historical information and not being proactive enough in all areas, where there is a need to look at new information, research, and collection of data from stakeholders. The DNR is looking at setting/lowering fish limits and making them consistent on a state wide basis.  Dean reported lake guides and others are reporting sunfish appear to be eating zebra mussels based on analysis of what is in their stomach when they are being cleaned. Dean suggested getting several lake associations involved with attending the DNR Roundtable, because there are several break-out sessions held at the same time.

5) Bigheaded carps risk-based management workshop on March 15th (Dave R. sent email on this) - Anyone interested in attending can let Steve G. know (LWIA) will pay the registration fee.

6) AIS Detectors Training - Sponsored by the UM: Steve G. is trying to get more information.  Do know it costs $175, there is an online training component and then one needs to attend a class that is offered in different places throughout the state to get the certification.  Mark Johnson volunteered to attend this offering.

7) Committee Reports:

Aquatic Invasive Species:
   A. Water Quality Testing - Dave R. reported they are ready to begin testing in April.  Dean S. suggested we check with the MPCA regarding what kind of water testing they are doing, so we are not duplicating them.
   B. Vegetation Survey - Ron B. reported they would be doing the first vegetation survey in May.  This will consist of looking at 10-12 different areas on the lake using 40-60 weigh points.  We do have some grant money ($5200) for treatment of milfoil.
   C. I-LIDS/Watercraft Inspection - Dave R and Skip S. (and any others that want to help) will be putting up the I-LIDS unit about April 15 based on the contract we have.  The was talk of putting it up sooner and Dave R was going to look at the cost difference.
   D. Cormorants & Pelicans - Steve G. will be putting together a rebuttal to the article in our fall newsletter from the local DNR.  He will send it out for board members to preview before publication.
   E. Zebra Mussels - Dave R and Mike W. will be putting out the "motels" 11 inspection plates in or near the same places as last year.  This will happen once the docks are in (could be early this year).

Watershed: Dean S. is attending a watershed workshop at Normandale CC in March and will report back to the board. Skip S reports he is working on an intake culvert on 213th Street (east of the landing). He has the OK from the Township, Meeker Water and Soil, and the farmer to proceed.  Skip is requesting that the diversion inlet be a permanent fixture on the culvert.  This will involve digging out some of the rocks before anything can be done. The farmer agreed to furnish rock for this project.  The next project Skip is looking at is a culvert on the Northeast side of the lake.

Membership / Shoreline Captains: Cathy K reported once the newsletter goes out memberships start to come in. We need to order (from Crow River Printing) at least 300 membership cards and envelopes.  We need to be sure to change the date on the membership cards.  Cathy will be scheduling a meeting of Shoreline Captains meeting at her house in mid-May.

Education & Public Relations:
   A. Spring Newsletter: Ron B. would like all articles to him by April 1, this is a Saturday. Cathy, Lyle, and Steve G will be contacting advertisers for the newsletter. Cathy would like us to order 30 extra newsletters.
   B. Website, Facebook, and Email Activity - we have 146 likes on Face Book and are getting 4 hits per day on our website.
   C. New Directory (last one was 2011) - Steve G. sent a link to the electronic copy of the previous directory.  Mark J. volunteered to help set up the directory and take on contacting Crow River Printing about formatting the document for printing.  Dave will check with Crow about what it costs per page (last directory was 155 pages with color printing on the covers) to help us decide on costs for adds, our goal is to get most of the cost covered.   The Board will need to set up committees to: 1. Write articles 2. Determine what information to include 3. Advertising 4. Getting the directory to the printer.  We will need to order about 400 copies. Goal to have it ready by Spring 2018.

Social Committee - Annual Membership Meeting on May 6th - Skip reported Schroeder’s Meats will be providing the Pork Chops and B & B Sports will be paying for them. (note Skip said B & B would like to get several newsletters to have in their store).  They are on our list to get copies, Cathy will be sure they get at least 3 copies.

Financial / Grants - Tabled until the next meeting Sharon D. was not able to attend.

MCAL - Representatives/meeting dates - Next meeting will be during the summer.

8) Open Discussion - Steve G has lots of people asking about ice out dates, Jenna O’Brien is the judge of what is the official ice out date on Lake Washington.

Next Board Meeting Scheduled for 7 PM April 6th (Thursday) at Dassel Rod and Gun Club

 
 

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Lake Washington Improvement Assn. - All Rights Reserved