Board Meeting Minutes Archived Minutes
Lake Washington Association Board Meeting June 1, 2017
Board Members Present:
Sandy Wosmek
Lyle Walker
Cathy Klehr
Sharon Daniels
Tom Hauer
Ron Bubany
Steve Grotbo
Steve Ullom
David Rathe
Mark Johnson

Board Members please let someone know if you are not able to attend.

Treasurer Report:  Invasive Species Fund 53,781.85 General Fund  72,412.61

Paid Memberships: 158

1) Call Meeting to Order 7 PM -by President, Steve Grotbo

2) Secretary's May Board Meeting Report - approved for publication on the website

3) Treasurer's May Financial Reports - The board approved the May 31 treasurers report from Lyle Walker.  The board approved continuing annual membership with Conversation Minnesota at the cost of $200.00.  The Board approved a resolution to accept the annual report from Piehl, Hanson, Beckman Accounting.  They have also prepared LWIA’ s annual report and filed required Federal and State forms.

4) Election of officers - The Board of Directors elected the following officers by unanimous approval:
   President - Steve Grotbo
   VP - Mike Wosmek
   Treasure - Lyle Walker
   Secretary - Steve Ullom

5) Committee assignments -  See document attached to these minutes.

6) Committee Reports:

Aquatic Invasive Species:
   A. Water Quality Testing -Dave Rathe reported the first sample was taken and sent for testing on 5/21.  Dave received the pricing for 2017 and it will cost LWIA $220 per year for monthly testing.  This price does not include any water quality testing that Skip Sustacek may schedule.  The next seechi reading is scheduled for June 8th.
   B. Vegetation Survey - Ron B. and Mark J. sampled 44 sites around the lake, finding some curly leaf at two sites. They also found Eurasian Water Milfoil in at least on site on the south side of the lake near the Ellsworth landing area.  Mark forwarded this information to the DNR.  They plan to go out in 3 weeks to do more sampling in areas where invasive species were found.
   C. I-LIDS/Watercraft Inspection - Dave R. needs to increase volume on the unit.  Eric needs to come out and upload the updates.
   D. Cormorants & Pelicans - There was a discussion about Swimmers Itch and the use of copper sulfate as a treatment.  The Board would like to be able to publish names and addresses of suppliers of copper sulfate.  Need to find out if the package needs to be marked specifically for snails and swimmers itch. Some information we have
      Permits from: MNDNR Fisheries, Hutchinson  20596 Hwy 7 Hutchinson, MN 55350
      Phone: 320-234-2550 FAX 320-234-2555
   E. Zebra Mussels - The hotels are in place around the lake at the same sites as 2016.
      There was a discussion about what LWIA could do to support  Dr. Mike MaCartney, PhD UM zebra mussel research. The board approved sending $5000.00 contribution to the UM zebra mussel research. Dave R. will get information about where and who to send this to.  Dr. McCartney presented at our Spring Membership Meeting, and Steve G will work on getting permission to post the power point he used at the meeting.

Watershed: Dave R reported, he and Skip S. worked on a culvert on 213th Street just past the Ellsworth Landing that we have worked on before. Rocks were added and pipes adjusted to slow down the flow of water going into the lake.

Membership / Shoreline Captains: Cathy reported there are 158 paid memberships. She has mailed out 75 Thank You notes to those that made $50 contributions so far this year. Shoreline Captains meeting on May 20 was well attended. Cathy is working on making a map that is easier to read and have all properties on it.  Her goal is to have a 11x17 map for all Captains and Board members that is easy to read.

Education & Public Relations:
   A. Summer Newsletter - Ron B would like all articles turned in to him by June 26th. We will include Code Red information and phone numbers to enroll in this program.
   B. Website, Facebook, and Email Activity - Steve G shared LWIA information with Dockside editor (Juliana Thill) and Enterprise Dispatch staff writer Jennifer Von Ohlen. Website hits 5 per day same as last month. Facebook likes 153 up from 149 last month.
   C. New Directory (last one was 2011) - Mark J. is waiting for Crow River Printing to provide us with the estimated cost of the 2018 Directory.  The total cost will provide us a basis for cost of ads to cover the cost of the directory. Mark provided the Board with a list of all advertisers from the last Directory.  Tom H shared the following analysis: based on the number of advertisers from the last directory - if we charged $200 for full page, $150 for ½ page and $100 for ¼ page ad, would generate about $6950.00.

Social Committee - Sandy W. reported the Annual Pork Chop Dinner went well, it was estimated 123 people attended. Special note there were many children in attendance.  She thought maybe Schroeder’s Meats may have sent us more pork chops than they said.  She will check with Skip S to see if a Thank You was sent to B & B Sports for paying for the pork chops.

Financial / Grants - Sharon D reported a new grant is coming out soon and she is working on it.  She wants to remind everyone to keep track of in-kind- hours and turn them in to Sharon, because they are often needed when applying for grants. Also, turn in all receipts for products.

MCAL - Next meeting is July 20th.

7) Open Discussion - There was a conversation about Code Red and what phone number at Meeker Co. Sheriff’s Dept is one to call to register for Code Red. Steve U. will check with Sheriff to get number.

Cathy K. shared the VIP List of people we regularl include in our mailing lists, that Ken put together, the board was wondering if Ken wanted to continue updating this list.  Cathy also shared a list of newsletter advertisers that get a copy of the newsletter if they advertise. She is working on updating the list, as some no longer advertise with us or no longer in business.

Next Board Meeting Scheduled for 7 PM July 6th (Thursday) at Dassel Rod and Gun


Copyright © 2007-2019 - Lake Washington Improvement Assn. - All Rights Reserved