Lantern
 
   
Board Meeting Minutes Archived Minutes
Lake Washington Association Board Meeting August 8, 2017
Board Members Present:
Sandy Wosmek
Lyle Walker
Pat Hanson
Mike Wosmek
Tom Hauer
Ron Bubany
Skip Sustacek
Steve Grotbo
Steve Ullom
Mark Johnson
Dean Shaner

Board Members please let someone know if you are not able to attend.

Treasurer Report: Invasive Species Fund $54,303 General Fund:$68,138 Total funds:$122,584.00

Paid Memberships: 196

1) Call Meeting to Order 7 PM - President Steve Grotbo

2) Secretary's July Board Meeting Report - approved to be published on the website

3) Treasurer's July Financial Reports - Lyle W. reported income of $750 from memberships, $105 AIS fund, and $35 for Dassel Fire Dept.
   Expenses were: U of M zebra mussels research $5000 donation, MCAL dues $20, Newsletter $568.76

4) Committee & Project Groups Assignments Review Taken off agenda

5. Invitation to Host Community Water Meeting - Dave R. forwarded an email he received on Governor Dayton's 25 for 25 Program. The focus is to increase rate of improving water quality by 25% by 2025, as reported by the MPCA. Board decided to host a Water Meeting at our Pot Luck Dinner. Dave will get the conversation guide from the MPCA and we will share our feedback as appropriate.

6) Committee Reports:

Aquatic Invasive Species:
   A. Water Quality Testing - Dean S. reported Seechi disk readings of about 2 feet 7 inches
   B. Vegetation Survey - Survey completed on 7/29/17 of 50 waypoints no invasive species were found. The Board discussed email from lake shore property owners request for help dealing with vegetation in the southwest area of Lake Washington, that is restricting boat traffic. Mark Johnson will reply to this email explaining the Lake Association is limited by DNR and state water guidelines. The Lake Association Board
   C. I-LIDS/Watercraft Inspection - Dave R. put the new components in the I-LIDS unit, that improved the voice and reported the unit is working well.
   D. Cormorants & Pelicans - Not seeing many on the lake lately. They are not feeding the young which may explain why there are fewer on Lake Washington. We will be asking for feedback on the fishing in the lake and report this in our fall newsletter.
   E. Zebra Mussels - Rick Fernstrom's neighbor found one. It is currently in a freezer. Dr. McCartney would like about 20 to conduct DNA testing. No other mussels have been reported at this time. Dave and Mike are permitted by the DNR to transport zebra mussels, so if anyone finds one please contact Mike or Dave. Third hand reports from Stella say they are bad this year.

Watershed - Skip reported with the dry weather there is very little water flowing, so is unable to see water running into the lake from various culverts. Skip updated the status of the ditch next to the Ellsworth Landing. The adjoining property owner is willing to partner with our efforts to clear out the ditch and plant with native plants that are better controlled. Skip reported in the Spring water actually flows into the culvert and ditch from the lake. The area needs to be cleaned up. Skip is working with DNR and Christie Rice is working to get a permit to do clear out and clean up the area. They are talking about doing a dormant planting later this fall. Skip believes we will need a back hoe and volunteers to cut out the brush and haul it away. Skip is working with the DNR, Meeker Soil and Water, Townships, and Meeker Co to help determine who and how these groups can help with the clearing of the ditch.

Membership / Shoreline Captains - As of Saturday Pot Luck there were 196 memberships. Cathy is getting good responses from SLC working on their rosters for the 2018 Directory. Five areas are completed. Cathy and Ron B met regarding missing addresses on SLC rosters because we do not have a name for that property. Ron R reported: 1. all properties will be put on SLC address list (those without a name will be listed as "unknown"). 2. People that have paid membership and leave or sell their house we will not be sending dues back to them. They will stay on the membership list (getting newsletters) until Jan 1 of the next year. 3. For the newsletter Ron will only submit names of real property owners/association members.

Education & Public Relations:
   A. Summer Newsletter - Goes out mid October and articles will be due by September 30. Some people had trouble opening the Summer Newsletter (once Ron sent a smaller version to Steve G to post things seemed to work better).
   B. Website, Facebook, and Email Activity - Steve G reported we have 154 likes and website is getting 7 hits per day. Since adding Dr McCartney's power point this may be a factor for increased hits.
   C. New Directory Update - A group met at 6:30 before this meeting: to look at advertisers and had volunteers to contact some of those on the advertisers list from the previous directory. Mark J. has this list and is working on getting an ad sheet out to help with selling ads.

Social Committee - Sandy Wosmek reported 46-48 people attended the Pot Luck Dinner. Total cost was $50. Be sure to send Thank You notes to those that made door prize contributions.

Financial / Grants - Sharon D. reported: asking for $500 for speaker expenses but was denied. MCAL grant information to be announced in September, with completion prior to Oct 30; (MCAL grants do carryover for ONE year if there is still money left); AIS grant info announces sometime in Sept and are usually due by Nov. 15. REMINDER TO TURN IN: your labor and expense receipts for any volunteer work you do on behalf of the Association. Include your name, hours worked, project worked on, expenses include mileage and receipts.

MCAL - July 20 meeting. MCAL dues are $20/year; they no longer reimburse $300 for water testing (possibly can get water testing funding from Meeker AIS); reminder to turn receipts in early for payments, new MCAL Directory is completed and will be sent out; new Officers are: Pres. George Kramer, VP Randy Nass, Treas. Jim Olson, Sec. Kim Hempie; Sharon has a copy off MCAL By-Laws, purpose, goals and objectives if anyone would like a copy please let her know. Grants to be completed in 2018 are to be turned in by Oct. 30, 2017. There was some discussion about getting information from MCAL in a timely manner. Next meeting Oct 19.

7) Open Discussion - Dave R reported he has gathered the ideas from our Town Hall 25 x 25 Water Quality meeting and will compile and send them to Gov. Dayton's office.

Next Board Meeting Scheduled for 7 PM September 7th (Thursday) at Dassel Rod and Gun

 
 

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Lake Washington Improvement Assn. - All Rights Reserved