Board Meeting Minutes Archived Minutes
Lake Washington Association Board Meeting March 6, 2018
Board Members Present:
Mike Wosmek
Cathy Klehr
Ron Bubany
Steve Grotbo
Steve Ullom
Skip Sustacek
Dean Shaner
Mark Johnson

Board Members please let someone know if you are not able to attend.

Treasurer Report: Invasive Species Fund $54,145.56 General Fund $69.045.97

Paid Memberships: 2018 - 1 2017-223

1) Call Meeting to Order 7 PM - President Steve Grotbo at Mark Johnson's house (69523 233rd Street, Dassel).

2) Secretary's February Board Meeting Report - approved to be published on the website.

3) Treasurer's February 2018 Financial Report - Income $320 for 2 directory ads.Expense $72 for renewal of PO box. Total funds as of February 28th $125,191.53. Total directory funds collected is $3570.00.

4) Concerns about the remaining structures from the original dam built in 1930's. It was brought to our attention by a snowmobiler that lives on the north side of the lake. They had safety concerns about the concrete structures left from this dam. The Lake Association is wondering if anything can be done to improve safety. Steve U has been in contact with the DNR and will ask them what can be done about these concrete structures.

5) May Election - The following Board members 3-year term is expiring in May. Cathy Klehr, Steve Ullom, Skip Sustacek, Mike & Sandy Wosmek, and Lyle Walker have all agreed to continue serving on the Lake Washington Improvement Association of Meeker Co. Board of Directors from May 2018 until May 2021.

6) Committee Reports:

Aquatic Invasive Species:
   A. Water Quality Testing - Dave R updated the water quality historical documents that he is recommending we put on the website. Mark J. will check with Dave R. regarding this information and changes over time. Once they figure this out a copy will be sent to Steve G. to put on our website.
   B. Vegetation Survey - The committee will be doing the first survey in May.
   C. I-LIDS/Watercraft Inspection - Eric Lindberg (Environmental Sentry Protection) will provide new insurance information to us around May 1st when his current policy expires. I will forward to Jeremy Losinski (Parks & Trails) when received. (The insurance is required by DNR for I-LIDS to be installed at the landing.) DNR will not be doing boat inspections this year. They will set up a decontamination station for part of the summer.
   D. Cormorants & Pelicans - No news. Dean S will write an article for the spring newsletter.
   E. Zebra Mussels - Dave R. reported to expect population to greatly increase this year. We are starting the exponential population growth phase for these invaders. Mike W. has repaired the hotels and they will be putting them out by Memorial Day.

Watershed - Skip S reported there are no problems at this time (everything is pretty much frozen). LWIA will need to spend some time finishing up the ditch we cleared last fall. This will involve working up the ground and reseeding. Skip needs to check the Meeker Soil and Water about what seeds can be used.

Membership / Shoreline Captains - Cathy K. has contacted nearly all the Shore Line Captains and she is double checking her address lists. While she continues work on putting together a map that lists all the properties on the map around the lake. Cathy reported one person did not want their lake address published in the new directory and has shared the most updated list to Mark J for the new directory. Ron B and Cathy K will look at updating the membership registration cards. Ron B. will be updating membership on a monthly basis and get this to Steve G to publish on our webpage.

Education & Public Relations:
   A. Spring Newsletter - All articles need to be in to Ron Bubany by March 26th. It was suggested we send out the email copy later than the mailed copy goes out. Some people may not be looking at the printed copy and thereby not seeing the Membership Cards. Ads for the newsletter Cathy will contact Darwin Liquor, wondering if Lyle will get ads for the church, and nursery. Someone will contact Affordable Pumping regarding an ad for the newsletter. Prices for ads are: $40 page, $60 page, $80 full page.
   B. Website, Facebook, and Email Activity - There are 171 likes (up 2 from last month) on Facebook. We are getting 5 hits per day on the website.
   C. New Directory Update - So far have collected $3730.00, if we get all the payments we have for ads in the directory we are at $4790.00. Mark J. would like one more ad to reach $5000.00 in ad revenue. Mark is working on getting a final copy to the board so it can be proof read before it goes to printing. The goal is to have the directory at Crow River by April 1, and get them to Shore Line Captains by the 3rd Saturday of May.
   D. Lake Mapping - Ron B has formalized a process of contacting volunteer drivers about when he is ready to go out for the mapping. We are hoping to get more volunteers at the Membership Meeting in May. Ron has begun to look at different ways to publish this information: map, more detail in a booklet. Steve G suggested we look at what the final product will look like based on the data collected.

Social Committee - Mike, Skip, Sandy report we will have pork chops from Bennies of Hutchinson and they have everything under control. We will have 3 meat trays for raffling off. Steve G will not be there so someone else will need to sell tickets : $2 - 1 ticket or 3 - $5. Mark J. will share information and highlights from the new Directory. Dave R. will update zebra mussels status.

Financial / Grants - Sharon D. was able to get the following grants: Meeker Co. AIS $2200.00 for I-LIDS & $5200.00 for treatment of milfoil. MCAL $2000.00 for undefined projects.

MCAL - Representatives/meeting dates - next meeting July 2018

5) Open Discussion

Next Board Meeting Scheduled for 7 PM Thursday April 5th at Dassel Rod and Gun


Copyright © 2007-2019 - Lake Washington Improvement Assn. - All Rights Reserved