Lantern
 
   
Board Meeting Minutes Archived Minutes
Lake Washington Association Board Meeting June 7, 2018
Board Members Present:
Mike Wosmek
Sandy Wosmek
Lyle Walker
Cathy Klehr
Sharon Daniels
Pat Hanson
Tom Hauer
Ron Bubany
Skip Sustacek
Steve Grotbo
Steve Ullom
David Rathe
Mark Johnson

Board Members please let someone know if you are not able to attend.

Treasurer Report: Invasive Species Fund $59,375.35 General Fund $79,086.61

Paid Memberships: 180

1) Call Meeting to Order 7 PM - President Steve Grotbo.

2) Secretary's May Board Meeting Report - minutes approved for publication on our website.

   Annual Election of Board officers - Steve Grotbo - President, Mike Wosmek -Vice President, Lyle Walker - Treasurer, Steve Ullom - Secretary were elected by the Board as officers for 2018-19 year.

3) Treasurer's May 2018 Financial Report - Lyle W. reported, at this time, 66 people have donated $1880.00 for the Dassel Fire Department. We are waiting for Piehl, Beckman, Hanson to finish the year end reports. Reviewed the year-end financial summary and May Financial Report, Board approved these reports. Board approved $200 for yearly membership in Conservation Minnesota and $200 for yearly membership in Mn Lakes and Rivers Advocates (originally a lobbying group, now sponsoring educational events). Lyle talked to Steve Hanson regarding our large balance and possible tax issues. Steve H shared that we would need to make about 30% of our balance in interest before we would have any tax issues. If we were selling the directories there could be unrelated business taxes, we would be responsible for taxes. The Board approved a $5000 donation to the Minn. Aquatic Invasive Species Research Center at the UM, specifically for the zebra mussel research being done by Dr. Mike McCartney, PhD. The board talked about considering another donation later in the year, as they see this appears to be the best hope for someday being able to control zebra mussels.

4) Options for old dam - Steve U talked with Ethan Jenzen, DNR Parks and Trails 320-796-2161 ext.232, about what the state could do about the old dam structure. The Fisheries Dept. has the easement on the dam and along with the Park and Trails Division, they recognize liability for some form of marking is needed for this old structure. They are looking at something that will mark the hazards presented by this structure. In the short term, this could be such things as reflectors, painting the structure as a hazard (but not in a way to make it look odd or stand out), putting up signs, or other warnings. In the long term they would be looking at removal of the structures, this would involve looking at bonding funding. They are looking into easements of surrounding land and what planning would look like for removal. Jason Boyle at the State DNR offices is involved in this whole process. They will keep LWIA informed as decisions are made. Steve U will check with them every six months or so.

5) Committee Reports:

Aquatic Invasive Species:
   A. Water Quality Testing - Dave R. reported secchi disk reading were 14.5 feet on 5/15 and 11.5 feet on June 2. Water testing was on 5/15 with the next testing being on 6/15. Mike W. reported many area lakes are reporting the waters are very clear this spring.
   B. Vegetation Survey - Ron B reported they will do a vegetation survey later in June of about 15 way points. As Ron is doing the mapping he is getting a good look at the lake's vegetation.
   C. I-LIDS/Watercraft Inspection - I-LIDS is set up and magnetic sensor is operational. The unit activates the audio message several times and waits to take a video after about 30 seconds. It may need some adjustments as time goes on. Tom H reported there have been many times "water craft inspectors" have been at Ellsworth landing. At times the DNR has had decontamination station set up also. Tom was going to get more information on the waterless boat decontamination stations. Dave R recommended we do underwater inspections, specifically for Starry Stonewart, near the Rod n Gun Club and Ellsworth landings. Also, other high risks areas around the lake. Mark J will contact Limnopro about the price for such a service and get back to the board.
   D. Cormorants & Pelicans - Dean S has had contacts with the DNR Fisheries, but no formal meeting time has been set up.
   E. Zebra Mussels - Mike has put out the 11 hotels in the same spots as last year. Many people are finding zebra mussels around docks and lifts. Steve G will send out a post on Facebook letting people know they do not need to report finding mussels around docks and lifts.

Watershed - Skip S. reported the east ditch at Ellsworth Landing has been planted and looks good. He will monitor and spray for weeds as needed. He will continue looking at culverts and tiles running into the lake around the Northside.

Membership / Shoreline Captains - Cathy reported the Shore Line Captains meeting was a great success. Almost all Captains have picked up their directories. She has been delivering many directories on 213 th St. and other places because there is no captain for those areas at this time. Ron B will be sending updated Shore Line Captains information to Steve G on a monthly basis. She reports 190 association members.

Education & Public Relations:
   A. Summer Newsletter - Ron B said all articles are due by Monday June 25th.
   B. Website, Facebook, and Email Activity - Steve G reports the website is now SSL making it a secure site for two years costing $119.98. There were 177 likes up 3 from April and 4 hits per day to the website.
   C. New Directory Update - Mark reported the total cost was $5416 with total from ads of $4840 resulting in a cost to LWIA of $576. Three advertisers haven't paid yet. Awesome Job Mark!!!! Sharon D will submit these costs on the MCAL for possible grant money.
   D. Lake Mapping - Ron B reports that almost 1/2 the lake mapping has been completed. The longest fish so far was 43 inches long the deepest hole 18 feet. He has found some large boulders, the trail of the old road, piles of rocks and rocks in long lines. Many other objects he has pictures of. Steve U gave contact information for Dan Komarek and Ruth Lotsof are certified divers and expressed an interest in doing dived to better identify some of the objects Ron has found in the lake. The Board approved gift cards for the people who have volunteered their boats for the mapping. Ron B will determine who and how much this will be. Perry Piehl a Rod n Gun Club member wants to help out LWIA. Steve G passed his contact information to Ron B. to help out with the mapping project.

Social Committee - Pot Luck is August 4.

Financial / Grants - Sharon D reports nothing has changed with the grants we have gotten so far. She notes when you go to the DNR website it says No Grant Money Available.

MCAL - Representatives/meeting dates - Pat H. had sample suntan lotion and insect repellent to pass out. The next meetings are July 19th and Oct. 18th.

6) Open Discussion - Someone asked about regulations for putting out a 20 foot rave bouncer, Steve G directed them to the DNR for advice.

   Dassel-Cokato Dispatch asked for verification on Lake Washington write up for "2018 Dassel-Cokato Community Guidebook" Steve G updated the article.

   Someone asked about trash container at the Ellsworth Landing. The Board supports having a container there and Steve G will contact Park and Trails about getting a container at the landing.

   Mike W. had a neighbor talk to him about the landing at the west end of 233rd St. The person living next door to it is wondering if LWIA could help out making the roadway more useable and safe. Mike W. will check with the DNR about permits and if we can do possibly put down some gravel.

   Annual Members Meeting May 5 - Mike W chaired the meeting. 82 people attended, Mike W and son Joel cooked the pork chops. Sandy W cooked up the beans and bacon that were delicious. Announced 2018 Directories would be passed out the spring. Shared that LWIA is always looking for volunteers to help out with the following projects: lake mapping, vegetation surveys, water testing, water shed projects, and especially Shore Line Captains are needed.

   The following were elected to 3-year terms on the LWIA of Meeker Co Board of Directors: Lyle Walker, Cathy Klehr, Mike & Sandy Wosmek, Skip Sustacek, Steve Ullom

Next Board Meeting Scheduled for July 3rd at Dassel Rod and Gun

 
 

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Lake Washington Improvement Assn. - All Rights Reserved