Board Meeting Minutes Archived Minutes
Lake Washington Association Board Meeting July 3, 2018
Board Members Present:
Mike Wosmek
Lyle Walker
Cathy Klehr
Pat Hanson
Tom Hauer
Ron Bubany
Skip Sustacek
Sharon Daniels
Steve Grotbo
Steve Ullom
David Rathe
Mark Johnson

Board Members please let someone know if you are not able to attend.

Treasurer Report: Invasive Species Fund $59,614 General Fund $69.142.47

Paid Memberships: 206

1) Call Meeting to Order 7 PM - President Steve Grotbo

2) Secretary's June Board Meeting Report approved for publication on our website

3) Treasurer's June 2018 Financial Report - Lyle W. reported Income: Membership $1300, AIS fund $200, and $70 donated to the Dassel Fire Dept. Expenses: U of M donation to zebra mussel research $5000.00, Directory $5,416.16, SSL $119.98, Constant Contact $378.00, $100.00 dues for Conservation MN, and $100.00 for Minnesota Lakes. The U of M sent a thank you letter confirming our donation to zebra mussel research. Board approved June treasurers report.

   The Board approved the contents, filings of State and Federal documentation, and results of the year-end financial reports by Piehl, Beckman, Hanson firm of Hutchinson.

4) Committee Reports:

Aquatic Invasive Species:
   A. Water Quality Testing - Dave R reported seechi disk readings in the 6.5 feet range on July 2. Water quality testing will be in about 2 weeks. June test results are posted on RMB testing site.
   B. Vegetation Survey - The committee is looking at doing a survey in early July. Mark J has volunteered to take part in Starry Track research on Spring Lake in August. This will count towards his continued AIS specialist certification.
   C. I-LIDS/Watercraft Inspection - Dave R and Tom H have done some tune up's on the unit, mostly left it the same. They do have concerns about how sensitive it is especially for the 2nd boat ramp. Dave is working on the magnetic sensor to do a better job of capturing video, launches from both ramps.
      Tom H. reported the DNR have been rotating (with Stella) every other weekend a decontamination station for boats they determine needing cleaning.
      Mark J reported on the services LIMNOpro Aquatic Science, Inc. could perform for our lake. The contact person is Dan McEwen and they have prices for different services. Mark explained what LWIA could get done for $1100.00: it would include snorkeling a 100x200 foot area around the Ellsworth Landing, 3 other areas (Dassel Rod and Gun Club Landing, culvert from Stella, and another area we would choose) a 20-point survey/audit of vegetation on the lake, and a drift survey over the deepest part of the lake. We would be asking them to specifically be looking for Starry Stonewort. Board approved doing this and Mark J will contact LIMNOpro to have them complete this service for LWIA
   D. Cormorants & Pelicans - Tabled for next meeting Dean S. not able to attend.
   E. Zebra Mussels - Hotels are out and Dave R checked a few in his area, seeing small ones. Others reported several shells were found on the north side.
   F. Watershed - Skip S reported they will be putting 1 1/2 inch rock at the lakeshore of the ramp between Washington and Stella. (This is the ramp Skip updated last year to make it more functional).
      Skip and Joe Norman, Meeker Soil & Water toured the north side of Lake Washington and decided all the areas, culverts and areas that run into the lake look good with lots of grass to help filter out and slow the water. Skip will share with Joe a property owner on the northside of the lake with a very steep yard that runs from the road down into the lake. Maybe the county can help divert the runoff.
   G. Lake Mapping - At Ron B's suggestion we moved this reporting to follow the watershed information. Ron's mapping of the lake bottom has provided some very interesting findings that show areas of the lake bottom that are very soft (mucky). He shared maps that showed areas of very soft bottoms along the old road on the northeast part of the lake, a culvert near the dam, and other areas that showed soft bottoms near areas culverts bring water into the lake. Skip will share this information with Meeker Co. Soil & Water to look more closely at areas of runoff into the lake.

Membership / Shoreline Captains - Cathy K. reported the Shoreline Captains and her have delivered most of the directories. Some people on Cnty 14 that own property on Stella and Washington chose not to get a directory.

Education & Public Relations:
   A. Summer Newsletter - The Summer Newsletter looked very good with lots of good mapping pictures. There was a discussion about how we can increase the content and have less reporting from the different committees. Maybe more educational information or topics about lake life or events. Will look at this as we get ready for the Fall newsletter.
   B. Website, Facebook, and Email Activity - Steve G received an email from Brenda C a property owner telling him there was a "no wake warning" on Washington and we needed to send out a notice. Steve checked with Meeker Co Sheriff's department and they indicated there were some area lakes with "no wake" areas because of the high-water level, but not Washington. Ron B verified the water is one inch higher than at ice out. We have 184 likes up 7 from last month and are getting 4 hits to our website per day.
   C. New Directory Update - Mark is working on getting a PDF copy to Steve G so we can put it on our website. There was one add in directory with the wrong telephone number. Some have corrected the number before passing them out. The electronic version will have the number corrected. The Board approved furnishing an add correcting the number in the July Newsletter. There have been many comments about how well done the directory is and professional looking it is...

Social Committee - Mike W. reported Sandy has everything under control. Steve U has sent out and will send another updated copy of the Door Prize collection list with names and volunteers to collect prizes. We welcome new businesses to donate and volunteers to collect prizes from them.

Financial / Grants - Sharon D. reported there are no changes to the grants we are scheduled to receive. She wants to remind everyone to let her know of any and all volunteer hours, as we get credit for in-kind work.

MCAL - Representatives/meeting dates - next meeting is July19th Pat H, Sharon D, Dave R

5) Open Discussion - Garbage can at Ellsworth landing has no progress yet.

   Mike W. followed up on private boat landing on NW side of the lake at the end of 233rd St. that we talked about possibly doing something to make it more functional. He has talked with DNR (Ethen Jensen in Spicer) they have nothing to do with this landing, but can not use concrete or asphalt to level out this driveway. Mike is going to check with a local hauler about what 2 loads of gravel will cost for this roadway.

Next Board Meeting Scheduled for 7 PM August 9th at Dassel Rod and Gun


Copyright © 2007-2019 - Lake Washington Improvement Assn. - All Rights Reserved