Board Meeting Minutes Archived Minutes
Lake Washington Association Board Meeting March 7, 2019
Board Members Present:
Mike Wosmek
Sandy Wosmek
Lyle Walker
Ron Bubany
Skip Sustacek
Mark Johnson
Steve Grotbo
Steve Ullom

Board Members please let someone know if you are not able to attend.

Treasurer Report: Invasive Species Fund $61,169.63 General Fund $64,277.37

Paid Memberships: 1

1) Call Meeting to Order 7 PM - President Steve Grotbo

2) Secretary's Sept Board Meeting Report (approved via email on Sep 27th) No October 2018 Board Meeting.

3) Treasurer's Report February 2019 - Lyle W. reported February 2019 Financial Report shows our financials as of February 28, 2019. The report includes the months of December 2018, January 2019 and February 2019. Lyle sent an e-mail to the Board at the end of December and January advising no activity other than monthly Capital One interest. Lyle e-mailed complete monthly reports at the end of October and November (approved via email by the Board). The February 28, 2019 report reflects the Capital One interest for December, January, and February ($117.53)The only expense item was the P.O. Box renewal fee of $76.00 paid in February. The cash balance at the end of February is $125,447.00. We did get a very nice Thank you note and research report from the UM zebra mussel study. The Board approved having Piehl, Beckman, Hanson do end of the year audit and filing of State and Federal reports.

4) Garbage can at Ellsworth Landing - Steve G. talked with Jeremy Losinski about the possibility of getting a garbage can at the Ellsworth Landing. The DNR might be ok if it was positioned so the I-LIDS can do video monitoring of it. DNR has contract with Waste Management and would be willing to have LWIA make contribution payments equal to the yearly charge for a garbage can at the landing. Decided to table this until Dean Shaner is at a meeting and give us more information about the needs.

5) U of M Donation - Dr. Michael McCartney's zebra mussel research finished in Dec 2018 under budget. Dr. McCartney is no longer working at the UM on this project. They did not use all of our contribution. Cori Mattke, UM, asked for opinion on using the money towards a different project. In the end, we agreed to have the money go towards a new project that is wrapping up this spring on zebra mussel genome.

6) Lake Map for Members - Steve G showed us an 11x17 contour map of Lake Washington. The Board approved having Steve get enough copies (350) to give one to each property on the lake. Ron B. designed a laminated folding contour map that costs $14.90 per map. The Board approved ordering 250 laminated maps to be distributed by the Shoreline Captains to all 2019 Dues paying members of LWIA of Meeker Co. Scott Mackenthun, DNR Fisheries Hutchinson, has talked to Ron B. regarding using our mapping data for the walleye survey this spring. Scot will also, be putting this mapping information on the DNR site for Lake Washington, that anyone could use.

7) Walleye Population Estimate and Angler Study - The DNR is planning on doing interviews at the landing and on the lake, and creel counts on Lake Washington this summer. They have posted the following position, Creel Clerk, to coordinate this project. The DNR is also asking for volunteers from lake members to help with this walleye project this summer.

8) Committee Reports:

Aquatic Invasive Species:
   A. Water Quality Testing - Dave R. shared the cost for testing 5 samples over the course of the summer RMB would be $250. Skip S will be doing before and after (large storms during the summer) testing (3-4) sites he has chosen near culverts around the lake.
   B. Vegetation Survey - Ron B and Dave J. will be doing vegetation surveys this summer. They are going to continue sampling vegetation at set waypoints, but are also planning to expand the survey to other areas that were identified during the contour mapping last year.
   C. I-LIDS/Watercraft Inspection - Dave R reported the special use permit has been submitted, just waiting for Jeremy L to issue this permit. The I-LIDS operational price will be the same as it was in 2018. The firmware has been updated and Dave will let us know when he needs help installing the unit.
   D. Cormorants & Pelicans - Have no new information at this time, Dean Shaner and Rick Fernstrom are involved in the area wide committee.
   E. Zebra Mussels - Mike W. reports the hotels are ready and he plans to put them out in the same 11 places we have used in the past. The Board supports continuing this practice as a way of collecting data/information that may be useful for future studies.
   F. Watershed - Skip is working on getting information about how far from the culvert inlets should he gather water samples for quality testing. This sampling will occur after heavy rains. Skip and Mike W will check with Joe Morgan, Meeker Co SWCS, about why our contour surveys from last year shows large areas of silt/sediment in the Northeast bay at the site of a drain tile inlet into the lake and what can be done to control this silt. Ron B. will do lake contour surveying of sediment areas during the course of the summer to better track and document them.

Membership / Shoreline Captains - Cathy K. is scheduling a Shoreline Captains Meeting on May 18 at her house.

Education & Public Relations:
   A. Spring Newsletter - Ron B wants all articles to him by March 23. Ads have 2, are $40, $60,$80. Reminder the focus of the Newsletters are Spring - things we plan to do this summer, Summer - how we are doing with plans we have, Fall - how we did with our projects this year.
   B. Website, Facebook, and Email Activity - Activity - Website = 2 hits per day over the winter; Facebook 200 likes up 8 from Sept. 2018.

Social Committee - Sandy W reported Pork Chop Members Meeting will be May 4, 2019. There is no plan at this time to have a speaker. Steve G will look at inviting the "Creel Clerk" (if hired by then) to come and explain their job for this summer. Skip S will check with B&B Sports about paying for the pork chops. Pot Luck Meeting will be Aug. 3, 2019.

Financial / Grants - Sharon D reported, we are receiving the following AIS and MCAL grant money for 2019:
      I-LIDS - $2200.00
      Milfoil - $8800.00
      AIS Education - $1500.00
      Mapping/Sediment Control - $5000.00
   Reminder from Sharon D, be sure to keep track of in-kind hours (this includes phone calls, travel time, etc) and send your logs to her.

MCAL - Representatives/meeting dates - tabled until committee member is present.

9) Open Discussion

Next Board Meeting Scheduled for Tuesday April 2nd at Mark Johnson's home 69523 233rd St.


Copyright © 2019-2019 - Lake Washington Improvement Assn. - All Rights Reserved