Lantern
 
   
Board Meeting Minutes Archived Minutes
Lake Washington Association Board Meeting April 2, 2019
Board Members Present:
Mike Wosmek
Sandy Wosmek
Lyle Walker
Tom Hauer
Ron Bubany
Skip Sustacek
Mark Johnson
David Rathe
Steve Grotbo
Steve Ullom
Pat Hanson
Cindy Hewitt

Board Members please let someone know if you are not able to attend.

Treasurer Report: Invasive Species Fund $64,193.63 General Fund $64277.37

Paid Memberships: 1

1) Call Meeting to Order 7 PM - President Steve Grotbo

2) Secretary's March Board Meeting Report - approved by Board for publication on website.

3) Treasurer's March 2019 Financial Report - Lyle W. reported there was not much activity in the past month. Paid $45.30 to Ron Bubany for the map project. Lyle looks for more expenses starting in April. Piehl, Beckman, Hanson agreed to do year end audit and filing State and Federal forms once Lyle completes year end report. Lyle received a check from Thermofisher that looked suspicious and Steve G will check this out.

4) Board Member Elections - The following LWIA Board members are up for election to a new 3 year term:
   Sharon Daniels, Ron Bubany, Tom Hauer, Dean Shaner.
   Sharon and Ron have agreed to continue on the Board. Cindy Hewitt has volunteered to be on the Board Election Ballot. Tom H and Dean S. are choosing to not run for reelection. Steve G has posted on Facebook the need for people to volunteer to be on the board.

5) Garbage can at Ellsworth Landing - There was a discussion by the Board, trying to identify the specific needs for garbage can(s) at the Ellsworth Landing. The costs are $33.60 per week from May 5 - September 28, or $705.60 per season for one can and $1411.20 for two cans, with weekly pickup. Tabled this until we can get more information about the need from Dean S.

6) Lake Map for Members - Steve G. showed the Board a map, with 4 contrasting depth contours, that he can get printed. These will be passed out to all property owners by Shoreline Captains this spring. The Board approved this version. Ron B showed us the laminated maps, one large and four more detailed mapped areas of the lake. He will be ordering 250 of these to be given to all people that pay membership dues this year. He will bring these to the Shoreline Captains meeting in May. Steve G. reported Andy Williquet, (DNR) has taken Ron's data and used GIS mapping technology that people can access (on the DNR website of Lake Washington) using iPad, tablet, or other electronic devices. This mapping technology has interactive capabilities for the user.

7) Walleye Population Estimate and Angler Study - There is an article in the Spring Newsletter about this study and the DNR are asking for volunteers, from the lake community, in their "helping capture walleye study" being conducted this summer on Lake Washington. We need to encourage lake people to join in this information gathering by the DNR. Andy Williquett (DNR) also let LWIA know the statewide bathymetry and morphology (the study of underwater depth, layers, and contours of a lake) has been updated on the DNR lake data.

8) Meeker County Board approves $291,000 to combat invasive aquatic species - The DNR is giving Meeker Co. $291,000 to pay for boat inspectors on 8 different lakes in the county. Lake Washington is one of these lakes. Meeker Co. has set up a schedule that will last for up to 17 weeks and include 10 hours per week of inspections at the Ellsworth Landing.

9) Committee Reports:

Aquatic Invasive Species:
   A. Water Quality Testing - Dave R, reported RMV will be testing monthly water samples from May- September this year. He will be conducting Seechi disk readings every 2 weeks throughout the summer. After heavy rain storms, Skip S. will conduct water sampling near the site of inlets and then further out in the lake to gather and compare data on what is flowing into the lake at the inlet sites. He will be testing for Phosphorus, Suspended Solids, and Nitrate levels. This will cost about $50-$75 per test site for analysis. Skip will be working with others putting together a map of all inlet sites on the lake.
   B. Vegetation Survey - Mark J. talked about the AIS lake study we paid to conduct on Lake Washington last year. They did find some deep water milfoil growth and noted it cost more to treat these sites. Also, Mark noted the potential for milfoil to be problematic (matting) in these areas is slight. Their report indicated they could do more extensive surveys and better chart areas with AIS. Mark will check with them on the cost for such a survey. The committee will survey the sites we have been monitoring for several years and will survey some new sites that were identified by Limnopro this summer.
   C. I-LIDS/Watercraft Inspection - Dave R reported the firmware has been updated and the speaker was fixed. He is working on correcting the false sensor readings. Seems the east ramp readings are very accurate, but the west readings are not so good. Jeremy L. DNR needs to sign permit.
   D. Cormorants & Pelicans - Steve G. is going to check with Rick and Dean about updates.
   E. Zebra Mussels - Mike will be putting the 11 hotels out on Memorial Day. We will be taking pictures of the hotels because there are too many to make counting feasible.
   F. Watershed - Skip S. will be doing water testing at several culvert sites around the lake after heavy storms this summer. He did meet with Joe Morgan, Meeker Co. Soil and Water, about the large area of silt coming from a culvert in the north bay near the outlet. Joe was going to talk with Warren Nelson about the (2) 8 inch tile lines that lead directly to the culvert into Lake Washington. An idea was to put a "T" on the end of the tile lines. Skip will continue discussions with Joe and monitor the water coming directly into the lake from this culvert.

Membership / Shoreline Captains - Shoreline Captains meeting is scheduled at Cathy Klehr's house on May 18th.

Education & Public Relations:
   A. Spring Newsletter - Ron B reports Newsletter has been sent to the printer and to be mailed out April 12th. It will include the membership cards and envelopes.
   Website - getting 3 hit per day, Facebook - 200 members with lots of activity, and Email Activity

Social Committee - Pork Chop dinner and Annual Member Meeting at Dassel Ron n Gun Club is all set. Sandy W reported B & B Sports will again be paying for the pork chops ordered from Schroeder's Meats. They have delivered them to us in the past. Skip will check with AquaWeed Stick people from Hutchinson about doing a short 10 Minute demonstration at our meeting.

Financial / Grants - table until Sharon D is in attendance.

MCAL - Representatives/meeting dates for 2019 April 18, July 18 and Oct 17- Pat Hanson reported sharing our newsletter and directory at the Oct. 2018 meeting, this generated many questions about what and how LWIA is able to provide these things to all lake members. There were some questions about Ron B's lake contour mapping, with some lakes interested in talking with him. He is willing to meet with them in the coming months with the goal of being able to start mapping in the Spring of 2019. MCAL is working on a pamphlet listing all the active lake association board members.

10) Open Discussion - Steve G reported he has talked with Lake Stella and they have officially become a 501(c)(3) non profit lake association.

Next Board Meeting Scheduled for 7 PM May 2nd at Dassel Rod and Gun

 
 

Copyright © 2019-2019 - Lake Washington Improvement Assn. - All Rights Reserved